Mixed Matters

An internet radio show interviewing authors, writers and poets on their latest and greatest works.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

American Idol Revelations

American Idol Revelations

I drove home in the rain (is this California or Washington state?) in mid-May relishing the thought of watching television. It was going to be a flip-flop between American Idol and Revelations on NBC, and I knew just the right time to check on the AI results. You know, the results show is murder. A whole half-hour wasted. They should do like Powerball and take about three minutes to announce the winners. I’m surprised that no one has fainted on that results show, or slapped Ryan Seacrest because I know I would have to at least try.

Bo Bice has been my favorite from the very first time I heard him sing, he’s the real deal. When I listen to him I’m transported back to junior high school, where I often sat in my yellow bedroom listening to K101 play Journey, Chicago and the Eagles. When I mention that I like those groups to some folks, they look at me like I was transported from another galaxy. Yes, I will admit it. While all of the friends I have now were listening to Run DMC, I was listening to soft rock. I usually try to play it off like I was deep in hip hop from the beginning, but it couldn’t be farther from the truth, I confess. Shoot me and string me up in the hood from the highest lamppost.

I watched Vonzell audition for the show and knew she was going to be around for a while. She would be my favorite right now, but for some reason I just can’t connect with her. Carrie is also a great singer, but I find her difficult to connect with as well. They are both very pretty women and will probably do well, but Bo moved himself far ahead of the pack when he sang a cappella on last night’s show. He is a true rock star, one that I was afraid would be overlooked because of the other ‘rocker’ Constantine.

Sometimes I wonder why I still watch American Idol. Every year it seems I make the decision to never watch again, and here I am, once again. When Ruben won I cried like black people had just won the right to vote, in my living room on the phone with my friends long distance. When Fantasia won, I almost cried, but she wasn’t my favorite at the time. Now that I have her cd, I’m very glad she was the one. I won’t cry when Bo wins, but I will be looking for his cd.

I would love to see Arsenio Hall replace Ryan Seacrest. I’m sure it would help ratings. But wasn’t he rumored to have once dated Paula? Maybe not a good idea, since her other, uh, ex-boyfriend has caused her enough trouble with ABC Primetime exclusives. So when will this show end? Will I follow it next year? I even allowed it to interrupt my viewing of Revelations, a very good miniseries. I wish they would show it again after American Idol’s finale. The only criticism I have of the miniseries is that it didn’t include a very diverse cast. But I suppose that if I ever gain creative control over a miniseries, I can make the cast look like whatever I want. Well, at least the Antichrist in the story didn’t emerge from the Congo or Egypt or something kooky like that, and they didn’t include any black (African-American) actors in the plot only to have their heads lopped off or endure some other extremely grisly murder early on in the show. I was most impressed with Michael Massee’s performance as Isaiah Haden the murdering Satanist, reminded me of some managers I’ve had in the past. Well, I guess I’ll have to try to get my Netflix movies delivered for Wednesday nights from now on or just give in and go to the gym.

Chandra Adams

Author

Shades of Retribution

www.AdrolitePress.com

www.ChandraAdams.com


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home