Mixed Matters

An internet radio show interviewing authors, writers and poets on their latest and greatest works.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Wearing Watches

Wearing watches

“…time won’t give me time, but time makes lovers feel, like they’ve got something real. But you and me we know we got nothin’ but time. But time won’t give me time...”

Boy George

Don’t ask me why that song jumped into my head. That was how many ions ago? Perhaps it is because my high school reunion is coming up, and I guess too because Boy George was in the news recently.
At any rate, I realize I haven’t worn a watch since high school either. I have several sitting in my jewelry box, too, that have probably lost their tick by now. Every once in a great while when I find myself in the jewelry section of some department store I’m tempted to buy one. I try to tell myself that designer watches are the way to go, that if I pay enough for a watch I’ll feel compelled to wear it. Then, I think about all of the other pieces of jewelry I’d love to have for half the price and walk right on by the watch section.
Wearing a watch normally has the effect of making me feel nervous and just a little uptight. I’m always looking at it, and if I’m sitting in a boring meeting or a class it just seems to make the time go slower. It’s unbelievable how long five minutes can take to pass if you watch the second had make those five rotations around the little clock on your arm.
I must admit though that a beautiful, well-crafted watch can make a person look like a million bucks. Also, when you need to cut a meeting short or make yourself look ultra-important, there’s no better way of conveying both than a dramatic look at your watch as you make your exit. Everyone looks at their cell phone to figure the time these days, but a watch is still a most useful accessory.

Chandra Adams
Author
Shades of Retribution
www.AdrolitePress.com
www.ChandraAdams.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home