Mixed Matters

An internet radio show interviewing authors, writers and poets on their latest and greatest works.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Can’t Miss What You Never Had

Can’t Miss What You Never Had

Why do you suppose it’s easier to get things you need when you don’t really need them? You know what I’m talking about. The bank, you can’t get a loan when you really need it. But if you already have some money, the banks just won’t leave you alone. Of course there’s the obvious – if you don’t pay back the loan, they have something to go after. So unfortunately, if all you have is a tin can to your name and a piece of red, polka-dotted cloth tied to a stick with all of your worldly possessions inside, don’t expect too much from your local branch except monthly checking account fees and a good solid kick in the pants when they think you deserve one.

Same goes with celebrities. When I feel like wasting time and those awards shows roll around, I watch the celebs out on the red carpet, most of the women looking simply smashing in their designer gowns. Some say, ‘oh, they just sewed the last stitch on this dress twenty minutes ago’ and others remark ‘I didn’t have a thing to wear, and I rolled up on Versace this morning and they had the perfect dress just sitting there’. I say, yeah, that must be so wonderful. To make it worse, or better, depending on your perspective, the dresses are often donated or given to the actresses. Now, let’s see here, if you are attending an awards show, there’s a good chance you’ve struck gold already somewhere down the line. If that’s the case, you can pretty much afford to buy any dress you want at any time – we’ve established that these are not charity cases. But once again, because these women don’t need these clothes, designers are beating their doors down to get them to wear their designs. Do you see the cruel irony here? I know you do, and I know you know that I do, but it still pains me. Terribly. My high school reunion is coming up soon, and I will need something to wear. I’m sure I can afford just about any one outfit at the local Macy’s. Now let’s think about how slim my chances are of walking out of the store with any freebies. Mmm hmmm.

The final blow with regard to freebies for people that don’t need them are jewels, particularly diamonds. Those same red-carpet-walking women come through with a blinding display of diamonds and other jewels. Jewelers aren’t nearly as generous as the designers. Most of the elaborate jewelry is given on loan, and we’ve even heard cases where stars have been sued for not returning jewelry upon request. Still, less elaborate gifts are given to celebrities, such as diamond earrings, necklaces and other semi-precious and precious stones and metals. Once again, I’m completely aware of the reasons why these things occur – it’s great promotion for the designers and jewelers. The celebrities will most likely continue to patronize them, and it will encourage others who see their favorite stars looking good to find out where they purchased this piece or bought that item. The world of material goods is a strange one indeed, and although I would love to receive some free clothing and jewels, one thing remains true – you can’t miss what you never had.

Chandra Adams
Author
Shades of Retribution
www.AdrolitePress.com
www.ChandraAdams.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home