Mixed Matters

An internet radio show interviewing authors, writers and poets on their latest and greatest works.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Rising Health Care Costs Part 2

Rising Health Care Costs Part 2

According to Eurweb.com, Angela Bofill, at the age of 51 has suffered a stroke. To make matters worse, she does not have health insurance.

Just to give a little background on Ms. Bofill for those who may not be familiar with her, she is a jazz vocalist who made her debut in the late 1970’s. Some of her bigger hits include ‘This Time I’ll Be Sweeter’ and ‘I Try’ which was remade by Will Downing.

I became a fan of hers after over a decade of wishing I didn’t have to listen to her day in and day out. One of my older sisters played her music over and over and I just really couldn’t stand hearing her voice. Then, I think it was in 1992, I attended The Long Beach Jazz Festival where she was part of the lineup. Let me tell you, hearing someone sing live can really change your mind about the quality of their voice and their music. Ever since that festival, I have loved her songs and am saddened to hear of her illness. Unfortunately she is now paralyzed on one side and her friends are donating money and a benefit concert to help her cover those astronomical bills she will undoubtedly face.

I really hate to hear that one our great artists is suffering in such a manner. I am unsure of her financial situation and why she would not have health insurance for herself, but it is not doubt a shame that anyone in this country should have to go without. That may sound idealistic to some, but the reality of the situation is that this is the richest country in the world. I am very proud to be an American and I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else in this world, but let’s face some facts – the quality of life here appears to be diminishing and I point to the absence of health care for many people as a determining factor of this condition.

Sure, after I turned twenty-three I could no longer be included on my parent’s health plan so I went without for a while. When I was in graduate school, I had to go forego health insurance. At some point in many of our lives, we have to sacrifice and do without it for any number of reasons. But just because someone doesn’t have it, it shouldn’t mean that they might face financial ruin should he or she become ill.

My individual health plan is currently eating me alive, but I am gratefully insured. Thankfully, Angela Bofill has a number of friends who are apparently able to stage a benefit concert to help her with her needs. What’s happening to all of those people who won’t see proceeds from a benefit concert when they fall on hard times? It gives us all something to think about with our own situations and those of our neighbors. Our health in many ways is all we have, and our society must find better and more creative ways to assist all members in protecting it and that of their loved ones.


Chandra Adams
Author
Shades of Retribution
www.AdrolitePress.com
www.ChandraAdams.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home