Mixed Matters

An internet radio show interviewing authors, writers and poets on their latest and greatest works.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

The World Wide Web and Marketing

The World Wide Web and Marketing

I recall the first time I got one of my websites up and running. I was so excited, but as I performed routine searches for my website on Google and Yahoo, I realized that I had an uphill battle to get recognized on our internet search engines. Slowly, as I kept adding content, my company name would appear and I would be ecstatic. Surely, however, as other people with the same first name or any other similar attributes would do the same, my site would sink back down to the bottom of the pile.

For a while I started taking my website for granted. I figured I was doing enough business in retail outlets and face to face with clients, so my site didn’t seem quite as important as it once was. In fact, the idea of having an internet store began to seem like quite a bit of a joke. A lot of folks are still opposed to buying products off the internet, so I made the decision to place my attention elsewhere.

Lately, it seems that I have come full circle with regard to the internet and my own websites. I have one more that I acquired in the middle of 2005, which is this blog site. I also realized that, although many individuals are not totally comfortable with making purchases on the internet, they sure do check out what they want at length before they step into the retail outlet to make a purchase. Realizing that, I have known for some time that making my information easily accessible would be key if I want to stand out from the crowd, and it is something that must be attended to on a regular basis.

Now what you can do to rise to the top of the heap will depend a lot on, like just about everything else, how many resources you have available at your disposal. Time and money, to name a couple. If you have access to funds, then you can employ a company who specializes in Search Engine Optimization. They are great at helping a company become more accessible and visible on the web. And if you’re interested in utilizing the web as a marketing tool, then you will definitely want to be found easily. Nothing is more frustrating for a consumer than to scan through pages and pages of Google results to find what he is looking for – and it can definitely make the difference for a company’s sales.

If you don’t have the money, you have to have the time to spread the news around the internet about your website and your product or service offerings. Nesting your link on other websites, listing your website and business information on directories…oh the possibilities are endless, and tiring. Whether you launch a do-it-yourself campaign to get recognized on the internet or hire someone else to do it, the message has become crystal clear. The internet is still an excellent vehicle for marketing and promotion, but being savvy about your plan of attack is crucial. Just remember, it’s going to be a matter of time, or money. Take your pick, but do it soon before you get left behind.

Chandra Adams
Author
Shades of Retribution
www.AdrolitePress.com
www.ChandraAdams.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home